Extracts from January 1859 Church Magazine
Morton Church, which had for a long time been in a most comfortless and dilapidated condition, was rebuilt by voluntary subscription, in 1850, at a cost of nearly £700.
In 1856 a Vestry was added to the Church, and the entire cost defrayed by John Baily, Esq., Q.C. formerly Fellow of St. John’s College, Cambridge.
The Vestry window, containing the Arms of John Baily Esq. was presented by the Parishioners. Cost £5.
THE ALFRETON SAVINGS BANK is open on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of every month, from Half-past One to Half-past Two o’clock. Children’s Savings of One Penny and upwards, will be received by the Rector of Morton, and conveyed to the Bank at the earliest opportunity. “Train up a child in the way he should go,” in this as in other things, and “when he is old he will not depart from it.”