Morton history: 1912 to 1925
Notes from Barrington Darby (Local historian):
On the 27th February 1912, the death occurred of Captain Robert Goodwin RN aged 74. A retired Naval Engineer who resided at Morton House. Some years later this building was sold and became the Morton Miners’ Welfare Club.
In 1912 the Morton Estate, which was owned by the Sitwells, was split up and sold. The Sitwells had been Lords of the Manor since 1749. This really did mark the end of an era!
The following year, 1913, a large number of the trees in Padiey Wood were felled and the timber sold to a Duffield Timber Merchant.
World War One (also known as The Great War), broke out in 1914, a campaign which was to affect so many Morton families.
In October 1914, Lieutenant Gladwyn Turbutt of the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry was killed in action, in France. Before his death, he designed both the Lynch Gate and the North Aisle of Morton Holy Cross Church. The North Aisle, the roof of which is a replica of the roof of Westminster Hall, was built in 1913.
Morton’s first fatality of World War One, was recorded on June 4th 1915, when 19 year old Private Frederick Sterland, died from wounds received in action that day, near the Dardanelles, He was a member of
the Royal Naval Division of the R A M C. On the eleventh hour of the 11th November 1918, World War One came to an end which had cost the lives of 21 Morton men. Peace at last!!
On February 7th 1920, a Concert was held in the Morton Picture Palace, on Station Road, to raise money for the War Memorial. Miss Gadsby of Church Farm, gave a piece of land adjacent to her farm for the erection of the Village War Memorial.
In the early 1920s1 Mr Peel ran a Friday evenings only charabanc service from the Sitwell Arms, to Alfreton Market, which stayed open till 9 pm.
In 1921, a piece of land on Main Road was leased by E.S.Wilmot Sitwell of Stainsby House, to Morton Church (Rector and Churchwardens) for 21 years, at one shilling per year. The conditions were, that
the building erected must be used for religious educational or recreational purposes. Subsequently known as THE HUT, the building was sited adjacent and to the rear of the Pit Wheels monument.
On 9th November 1923, Morton Cinema known as the Palace, on Station Road was destroyed by fire. A sixth bell was added to the belfry of Morton Holy Cross Church in In 1924, the Revd, William Leeke Latham
moved from Sutton in Ashfiefd, to become Rector of Morton and Canon Alfred Hall Prior, moved to Rowsley. There was an outbreak of the dreaded Foot and Mouth disease at Whettons Farm on Pilsley Road, in June 1924.
Also around this time, Thomas Talbot & Sons, Haulage Contractors purchased a small motor lorry based on the Model T Ford chassis. Both father and one son were affectionately known as Tommy.
© Barrington Darby